What is a RIW card?
Rail construction is booming across Sydney and surrounds, and qualified applicants can expect to find plenty of work. These jobs are paying very lucrative rates, but you must hold a rail industry worker (RIW) card to be considered.
In this post we will be looking at some of the major projects currently underway, as well as filling you in on everything you need to know about the RIW card.
Current Projects Underway
There are some massive projects currently underway throughout Sydney, and if you’re eager to get involved we can help! We’ve placed workers holding an RIW card on the following projects:
- CBD and South East Light Rail
- Inner West Light Rail Extension
- Newcastle Interchange
- Newcastle Light Rail
- Sydney Metro West
- Station Upgrades
Fancy getting involved? Read on to learn everything you need to know.
Getting your RIW Card – Key Requirements
It is a legal requirement for anyone looking for rail job opportunities to obtain a RIW card. Even if you have previous rail construction experience, you will not be given access to the rail corridor without one.
The purpose of the RIW card is to provide proof of competency, giving employers the confidence that you are fully qualified and have a full understanding of workplace health and safety in the rail industry. The system is endorsed by the Australian Railway Association (ARA), and is managed by workforce management specialists Pegasus.
Applying for a RIW card is simple, but there are a few key requirements.
- Visit railindustryworker.com.au to register your business details, you must either be associated with a company or hold an ABN as a sole trader.
- Add any employees/contractors + their personal details
- Pay for your card online. The cost is $100, and it is valid for 10 years. You will also need to pay a $30 + GST annual subscription cost.
- Upload relevant qualifications, certificates, cards, licenses, roles, statements of attainment and any other related documents.
- Print a copy of your booking form and complete 100 points of identification check at Australia Post. Your photo will also be taken, to appear on your RIW card.
- Pegasus verifies and validates your competencies/documents.
- Relevant competencies will be assigned to employee/contractor and registration approved by Pegasus. You will receive a notification to confirm your application has been successful.
- RIW card will be mailed within 48 hours, provided that all criteria have been met.
RIW Card Benefits
The RIW is a nationally recognised competency. Employers can look up detailed information on all RIW card holders at a moment’s notice, discovering information such as certificates and training records which used to be kept on-site where they could easily go missing. The RIW has put an end to that logistical nightmare as it keeps data current, safe and secure whilst significantly improving your job prospects and ability to be discovered.
The RIW system has been remarkably effective at reducing the risk of injury and compensation claims due to untrained personnel working on the rail network. Both contractors and employers will also benefit from dedicated online and call centre support service.
Connect with Advanced Group – Here to support You
Applying for rail construction jobs in Sydney is easy when you have the right connections. As an established labour hire company, Advanced Group can get you working fast. When you sign up with us, you will:
- Be the first to hear about our clients’ projects. We’ll keep you informed whenever a major milestone has been reached and when clients are looking to employ more rail workers to carry on the next stages of the project.
- Earn top rates + penalties
- Enjoy a choice between day shifts, night shifts andshut downs
- Access to a wide range of rail jobs – we have opportunities ranging from specialist rail workers through to tradesman including formworkers, carpenters and electricians with experience working on the rail
If you’re eager to start work in rail construction, contact Advanced Group today on 02 8086 3444 – we have a solid pipeline of challenging, exciting opportunities available. We look forward to working with you!