What tickets do I need to work in the construction industry?


There are inherent risks and dangers involved in working in construction. Before you can work on construction sites in Australia, you’ll need to hold relevant tickets to demonstrate competency and awareness of best practice. These tickets are required by your employer, and they are provided upon successful completion of induction training. In this post, we’ll be highlighting the full range of construction industry tickets and their importance.

The Importance of Tickets

Working in construction is inherently dangerous, and knowledge and training is key to mitigating the risk of injury. Training programs will inform you of the various health and safety risks involved so that you can carry out work on-site with confidence. Construction sites have many different areas and tradespeople working on them, and you will be using a wide range of equipment to perform your duties. A comprehensive knowledge of safe conduct will help you to stay safe and protect your employer from costly compensation claims.


White Card – Mandatory for all construction workers

Before working on any construction site, you will need to hold a white card. This card is awarded for successful completion of the General Construction Induction course.

If you haven’t already got one, you can complete the 7 hour classroom course with TCP Training. Once you’ve obtained your card, don’t forget to update your resume! You are now ready to apply for construction jobs, and your employer will be reassured of your competency in dealing with hazards and risks involved in working on a construction site.


Other tickets you may need…

If you’ve only just arrived in Australia, you may be feeling a bit overwhelmed and/or unsure about how to get started in construction. There are a wide range of tickets required for various jobs, and to help you out we’ve provided a brief overview of some of the most common ones below:

  • RIW Ticket – If you want to work on rail jobs, you’ll need to hold a Rail Industry Worker ticket. There are many hazards that are unique to rail work, and you need to demonstrate a strong understanding of the risks involved and ways to mitigate them.
  • Working at Heights Ticket – Working at heights comes with inherent risks, and this ticket will provide you with the knowledge needed to perform your duties safely and look after others. You may also require an Elevated Work Platforms Ticket (EWP).
  • Confined space entry tickets – A self-explanatory ticket that is required for anyone wanting to work within confined spaces. You can complete a nationally recognised course with a registered training organisation.
  • High Risk Work Licence – Some construction jobs have a higher level of risk than others, for example crane operation or pressure equipment. You may need to obtain a high-risk work licence. If you are unsure about whether or not you need this ticket, please contact us and we can advise you.
  • Traffic Control Tickets – If you want to work in traffic control or planning, you will need either a Blue Card or Yellow Card depending on your duties. The blue card is required for traffic control, whilst the yellow card gives you the ability to plan and implement traffic control plans.
  • Asbestos Removal – Many older buildings within Australia contain asbestos which is hazardous to human health. If you will be working with or around asbestos, you will need to obtain this ticket to demonstrate awareness of safety and best practice. There are three different levels of asbestos removal tickets: awareness, removal and supervision of removal. 


Updating Tickets

From time to time, you will need to update your tickets. This will ensure seamless transition between jobs and mean you will always be ready to accept new work. At the same time, it’s a good idea to obtain new tickets as this will help us match you up with more projects. Make sure to include the details of tickets you have obtained on your resume, as employers will take note of these details.


Final Tips – Contact Advanced Group Today

Many employers in Australia also expect you to have a full driver’s licence, as many sites are located in areas with poor or non-existent public transport.

We realise that you may be feeling overwhelmed at the requirements needed to work in Australia, so if you need any advice or assistance in obtaining tickets please contact our friendly recruiters today. We can put you in touch with our training providers and get you ready to work under a labour hire arrangement.

Obtaining your tickets is the first step towards success, and you’ll pick up valuable skills along the way which puts you in the best position for securing work on some exciting construction projects. Advanced Group looks forward to a great relationship with you and playing a part in your ongoing success.